Hey guys! Can you believe it’s October already?! Only a little over a month until I get to go to Las Vegas to get my Level 1 Crossfit Certification!!! So excited! The unfortunate part about it being October? It’s starting to get a little chilly, and I am NOT a fan. Silly Jenna, it’s not even that cold, you say. Well tell that to my poor fingers and toes that go all white and have no feeling in them 😦 Clearly I was meant to live in a nice warm climate…(hint to the hubs).
So in other news, it’s Monday. Wait, you didn’t know…? Well I’m sorry to break the news to you but it is indeed the start to another week! I’m not a huge fan of mondays, because they are my longest day at school and I always feel like I have SO MUCH to get done for the week and well, because they are mondays… I’m thinking of proposing we just start our week on Tuesdays, that sounds like a much better idea to me! My monday was even less fantastic when I saw I had to do overhead squats today at crossfit. Overhead squats and I don’t have the best relationship, although we are finally on speaking terms now, so that’s an improvement.
You know what helps make my Monday blues go away? Well a shopping spree to Lululemon obviously, but I’m pretty sure that’s out of the question right now…so I’m going to settle for a spicy, creamy, ooey gooey buffalo chicken casserole. Yep, that’ll do the trick! And the best part? It’s totally Paleo! Boom, take that Monday!!
Buffalo Chicken Casserole: I’ve seen a couple paleo versions of this, but they all seemed to be lacking something, and didn’t quite have that gooey casserole feel, so I decided to make my own recipe! I will warn you, it is a BIT spicy, so if you can’t handle the heat
get out of the kitchen you may want to use less hot sauce! 🙂
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 spaghetti squash(medium sized)
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk celery
- 3 large carrots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 cups coconut milk (I used light because that’s what I had on hand)
- 1 large egg
- 1/8 cup arrowroot powder
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast (Mine is gluten free, wheat free, dairy free and sugar free)
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 5 tbsp Frank’s Hot sauce
1. Cook your spaghetti squash either in the oven (375 deg for 35-45 minutes) or in the microwave (on high for 10-15 min)
2. While that’s cooking, chop up your onion, celery and carrots and heat a skillet to medium heat with 1 tbsp coconut oil
3. Add the vegetables to the skillet and cook until soft, about 5 minutes.
4. Add in the ground chicken and spices and cook until the chicken is no longer pink. Make sure to break up the chicken with a spoon.
5. While the veggies are cooking wisk together your egg, coconut milk and arrowroot powder in a medium bowl.
6. Add your milk mixture to the pan of veggies and bring to a soft boil. Let the mixture continue to simmer for a few minutes until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of your spoon.
7. Turn off the heat and add in the nutritional yeast and hot sauce.
8. When your squash is cooked, scrape out the inside with a fork, to get the spaghetti like strands. Scrape the squash directly into a 9×13 in baking dish, making sure to spread the spaghetti squash evenly to cover the entire dish.
9. Pour your chicken mixture on top of the spaghetti squash.
10. Bake the casserole in a 400 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, until bubbly.
11. Send me Lululemon gift cards as a thank you for making your monday!