Man, you gotta love rest days! This one was MUCH needed, since not only did I do Grace yesterday, but also finished my first week of adding Outlaw into my training along with my regular WODs….yeah, resting felt good!
Although, this was still an ACTIVE rest day, filled with some baking, food prep, shopping and studying/class prep! I mean….who ever said Sundays were the day of rest CLEARLY didn’t have a crazy schedule…! I even got in a small run today! Nothing crazy, just 2 easy miles, but it felt great and I didn’t have any IT band pain! Woot woot!
So as I said i did some more baking today, I don’t know what’s up with me? I’ve got some sort of Betty Crocker bug I guess? Anyway, I’m actually struggling with what recipes to share with you guys first! I’ve experimented with a lot of different paleo goodies lately, and they are all SO good!
One thing I love when I have a crazy week ahead is knowing I’ve got some Paleo friendly snacks on hand to get my through the hectic day. Lately I’ve been mostly relying on apples with nut butter or my homemade Lara bars to give me the energy I need. Yes, I said homemade Lara bars! These things are NO JOKE better than the store bought version, plus they are WAY cheaper and BONUS, you will know that everything in them is healthy and fresh!
Another great thing about them, they can easily be varied to suite your taste! Now I know many blogs have a version of this, so I realize it’s not the most original thing in the world, but I have toyed around with some different recipes and I think I’ve come up with a pretty awesome recipe! These are really great as a pre-workout snack or to keep in your bag if you are going to be on the move all day!
Homemade Chocolate Coconut Lara Bars:
- 2/3 cup pitted dates
- 1/3 cup nut of choice (I like almonds or cashews)
- 1-2 Tablespoons nut butter of choice (I used almond butter, but sunflower butter would be great also)
- 1/8 cup water
- 2 tbsp unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/8 cup dark chocolate chips *Can substitute enjoy life chocolate chips if desired*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- sprinkle of salt
- Throw all your ingredients into a food processor and blend until everything is finely chopped and combined.
- Dump the mixture onto some saran wrap and form into a square, about a 1/2-1 inch thick.
- Set in freezer for 5-10 minutes to firm up, then cut into bars and serve!
- Store at room temperature in saran wrap or plastic baggies
* I like to double this recipe to make enough bars to get me through the week!