So…..obviously I’ve been MIA for quite some time. I apologize to those of you who were actually following this blog…I didn’t mean to disappear, but that’s life! The sparks notes version goes like this:
*Chapter 1: I hurt my back really bad while crossfitting due to incorrect form and stupidity *Chapter 2: I realized the only way I’d have any chance of getting better was to completely seperate myself from crossfit and take time off, meaning NO lifting weights or any of that jazz… *Chapter 3: I spent a total of 4 LONG months away from crossfit or lifting of any kind. I filled this time with lots of running and training for a half marathon, it was boring, I kept telling myself I loved running, it was a lie *Chapter 4: My back finally healed up “completely” and I was able to lift weights again. I started slow and did some WODs on my own at the gym I work at. It sucked. I hate WODing at a Globo gym. I may have cried a few times due to frustrations of not being able to do what I needed… *Chapter 5: I begged my hubby to let me go back to my crossfit gym, and because I am spoiled, he conceded and I signed back up *Chapter 6: I got my butt handed to me over and over again while struggling to get back in shape(I’m still in this chapter actually) I also have an awesome opportunity right now because my old high school friend who is AMAZING and got 9th place in Regionals because she’s a beast, is home for the summer and is letting me train with her!!!! 🙂 So stay tuned to hear about all the crazy training I’ll be doing and hopefully my journey towards trying to get to regionals 2.0!!!
So now onto more important things. FOOOOD!! Well I won’t even tell you about my eating during this sad time, it wasn’t fantastic and definitely wasn’t Paleo….but that’s okay because I’m human! Also during my time away I found out some sad news regarding my health. Turns out I have genetically HIGH cholesterol…so that’s just awesome…and it means I can’t have as much fat, even the good kind, as other people. So I have modified my diet and while I still eat very clean and unprocessed, it’s not totally paleo, because I can’t have that much fat, and I have to compensate with other things, like the occasional rice or ezekial bread… So that’s just the way it is for me, if you aren’t cool with that or some of the recipes I may post that are non-paleo, you don’t have to read my blog! 🙂 But if you like eating delicious healthy food….keep reading!!
Okay, I got side tracked again…oh yeah..tonight’s dinner. It was bomb. Seriously…you will die. I got the idea from the amazing Juli Bauer over at PaleOMG to mix pork chops and peaches together. It sounded a little odd but I thought what the heck?! Well…she’s a genius(duh) and if you haven’t bought her cookbook..do it now!
Peach Basil Chutney Glaze Pork Chops with Sauteed Summer Veggies (Adapted from Juli Bauer’s peach pork chops)
For pork chops:
- 4 boneless pork chops
- 2 tsp thyme
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- Salt and pepper
For peach glaze:
- 2 peaches
- 1-2 tbsp basil(I used dried but fresh would be better)
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup water
- Marinate pork chops in olive oil, white vinegar, thyme and salt and pepper. I just threw it all in a zip lock and placed in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet to medium heat and place the chops in there.
- Let the chops brown on both sides(about 5-7 minutes) and then lower heat to medium low and place lid on skillet. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes until chops reach an internal temperature of 145-150 Degrees F.
- While the chops are cooking, make your peach chutney glaze by cutting the peaches into small cubes and throwing them in a sauce pan with the water, honey and basil. Bring to a boil and let simmer until the glaze thickens. Scoop over pork chops!
- For the summer veggies I just chopped up various veggies and blanched them (kind of like steaming) at the beginning of the week, so I just threw some of those in with the chops in the final minutes to add flavor.